August 01, 2020
August may be the Sunday of summer, but the season is still going strong. This month, we have fun ideas to fit in before August ends and power-saving smart home automation tips. Also, learn about how Blue by ADT security cameras can help you protect and connect with your pets.
Savor your summer
The final countdown for summer will be here in a few weeks. Plan to make some extra memories before the season ends by creating your own end of summer checklist. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Satisfy your sweet tooth with a dessert. Get yourself a root beer float for National Root Beer Float Day on August 6th.
- Catch up on your summer reading list to celebrate National Book Lovers Day on August 9th. Read your favorite book to someone you love (even a pet), swap summer reading lists on social media, soak up some rays while being a bookworm, explore the local library for new titles, or start a virtual book club.
- Want s’more sweets? You don’t even have to go camping to enjoy these gooey treats. Just get chocolate bars, marshmallows, and graham crackers. Next, safely melt your tasty treats into a sandwich for National S’mores Day on August 10th.
- Start an indoor garden. Pick out the herbs, flowers, vegetables, or fruits that you’d like to grow near your windows during the colder months. Keep in mind how much light and warmth the areas get when you pick out your plants or seeds. Then, write or set a recurring reminder on your calendar to water and care for your plants.
- Take a hike. Visit the closest state or national park, or take a road trip to a new outdoor spot you haven’t seen before. Whether you’re reconnecting with nature or snapping pictures, remember to socially distance from others. To prepare for your hiking trip, pack sunscreen, bug spray, water, and snacks. Plan to keep a charge on your cell phone in case of emergencies. Wear sturdy shoes and heavy socks to protect your feet. Also, consider wearing a hat and light-colored protective clothing to help avoid bug bites.
- Break a sweat with an online or outdoor fitness class. If you haven’t been very active while staying safe at home, anytime is a great time to get up and moving again. Think about what type of fitness works with your interests and energy level. Check online to see where you can go for an outdoor or virtual class.
- Make mermaid memories during a day trip to the ocean, lake, or pool. If you don’t live near a spot for swimming, get a small plastic kiddie pool so you and your pets can make a splash outside at home. Turn your back patio or yard into a poolside oasis for your feet and fur babies.
Capture the cute
Every dog or cat has its day. Now you can see it in HD with your Blue smart cameras. This month, we celebrate International Cat Day on August 8th and National Dog Day on August 26th. Whether you have a dog or cat, you can help keep your pet safe and capture cute moments with a Blue camera. Save the videos off of your devices to watch and show off later.
Use the Blue Indoor Camera to see your cat snuggling with your dog on the sly when you’re not around. You can also help protect your pets with the indoor camera’s fire and CO siren detector. Talk to your pet using 2-way talk, whether you’re in another part of your home or you’re away and missing your fur baby.
Watch your pupper play off-leash in the yard with the Blue Wireless Outdoor Camera and get motion detection alerts if anyone opens your gate.
Get a facial recognition alert when a pet sitter arrives at your home’s front door with your Blue Doorbell Camera and Blue by ADT app. You can also give your dog a vacation from announcing the mail carrier’s arrival. Blue sends you a motion notification with a video preview.
Want to find out how to save your fur baby footage longer? Learn about upgrading your camera video storage to 60 days.
Make a smart home power move
Security or smarts? You get both with Blue. Use your DIY security system to help take control of your home’s temperature and electricity with smart home automation. Turn up or down your home’s smart thermostat from virtually anywhere with the Blue by ADT app.
Your system and cameras can work with smart home automation to control your smart lights, locks, and thermostat. Just connect your system or cameras to your compatible smart home devices. Use your system with devices that work with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Z-Wave Plus, and IFTTT. Blue cameras work with Amazon Alexa and IFTTT.
Once you’re set, securely access your system or turn off your smart lights from virtually anywhere. Using the Blue by ADT app on your smartphone, you can make sure your home is safe and also control your smart devices all in one fell “swipe”.
Find out more about using smart lights and other devices with your system or cameras.