January 01, 2021
This month we have ideas on how to celebrate the new year with realistic resolutions and ways to focus on spending time with yourself, your family, and fur babies. Get tips for a safer home office, and find out how Blue can help you keep tabs on your home’s safety year-round.
Cheers to your health
Celebrate 2021 with little acts of self-care. Make a list of a few reachable resolutions for yourself during New Year’s Resolutions Week in the first week of January. Hang your list on the fridge for a fresh reminder of what you hope to do and check it off as you go. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Catch up on your reading list, learn a smartphone camera trick, or gain a new computer skill. You get to choose during National Hobby Month in January. Explore nature with a walk in the woods, hike outdoor trails, or get fresh air and exercise your own way. Build an epic snow fort if you have cold weather in the area, or have a picnic outside if it’s warm. If you’re looking for a new indoor hobby, try do-it-yourself arts and crafts projects with inspiration from online videos.
- Get down with snuggles for National Cuddle Up Day on January 6th. Hang out in a hammock outdoors if it’s not too cold, or stay inside where it’s warm near a fireplace or heater. Curl up with your fam, fur baby, partner, or your fav takeout, and watch a movie. It’s the best. Don’t forget you can keep an eye out for food deliveries from your couch using the Blue by ADT app with your Blue Doorbell Camera or Blue Wireless Outdoor Camera. The less time you spend checking the door, the more time you can stay comfy under your blanket. It’s a win-win.
- Wash away 2020 on National Bubble Bath Day on January 8th. Fill up your tub and drop in a fizzy bath bomb or some bubble bath. Put on a mud face mask while you soak your stress away, read a book or magazine, and play your favorite relaxing tunes. Hydrate with some water with fresh fruit or hot tea for an at-home spa vibe.
- Have your kids pose with your pet for an at-home school picture on National Dress Up Your Pet Day on January 14th. Take a few fun photos of your furry friends for social media or for your friends and family. Capture the whole photoshoot on video by staging it near your Blue Indoor Camera and save the footage to watch later. Create an album of pet photos or keep a photo in a place where it will make you smile.
- What’s cooking in 2021? If you’re looking to level up your kitchen skills, January is your month. While you’re hanging out inside, make some hot cocoa with creative toppings like peppermint candy canes, chocolate chips, or marshmallows for National Hot Chocolate Day on January 31st. January is also the official national month for hot tea, soup, and slow cooking. Create a custom cookbook by printing and putting all the online recipes that you want to try this year into a 3-ring binder.
Outsmart the season
As the seasons and weather change, stay ahead of the game by placing flood sensors in areas of your home where potential water leaks could happen. These areas may include bathrooms, water heaters, basements, attics, and vacation homes. Use a Flood Sensor with your security system to get alerts via the Blue by ADT app when water is detected.
Connect your Blue system to your compatible smart home devices. You can use a Blue system with Google Assistant, IFTTT, or connect with Z-Wave Plus devices. Learn more.
Be safe in your workspace
Whether working from an office or the couch in pajamas, places where people live have also become work environments. Many people will continue to work from home in 2021. Even if you’re working outside your home or using your home office to search for a new gig, here are tips to consider during Home Office Safety and Security Week from January 10th to 16th.
- Have a fire escape plan that you share with others in the home. Check that you have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. January is a good time to annually replace the batteries in your home’s smoke and CO detectors.
- Consider locking filing cabinets or using a Blue Door Sensor or Blue Motion Sensor so that you get an alert if the cabinet opens and if any other movement occurs.
- Use a surge protector for your computer and other electronic office equipment. Avoid overloading electrical outlets.
- Get a paper shredder to destroy paperwork with private info before tossing it.
- Make sure you have homeowners or renters’ insurance for your place. Organize your home office so that it’s safe for kids and pets. Keep it clutter-free and organize your electrical cords to avoid tripping hazards for yourself and others.
- Organize your home office so that it’s safe for kids and pets. Keep it clutter-free and organize your electrical cords to avoid tripping hazards for yourself and others.