July 01, 2022
We’re back with more safety tips. Read on to learn about simple things you can do to help you and your family stay safe while enjoying the summer, and what you can do to prepare for hurricane season. We also give you the lowdown on how to get the most out of some of your Blue by ADT devices.
Make this summer a safe bet
Summer is in full swing, and it’s time to get outside and enjoy some fun in the sun. But whether that means beach trips, pool days, hikes or old-fashioned backyard barbeques, July’s heat brings inherent health and safety risks. Here are some quick tips to help you and your fam have a fun and healthy summer:
Limit time in the sun between peak hours—10AM to 4PM—and replace any sunscreen you’ve had for over three years.
Use unscented soap and avoid perfumes or hair spray on days you plan to be outside to help prevent tick and insect bites.
Bring a small first aid kit with tweezers, waterproof bandages and pain relievers on all of your beach trips.
Remember to never grill inside your home or garage. Grill in a well-ventilated area outdoors to help protect yourself and others from CO exposure.
Give your circle the access they need
Your parents. Your girlfriend. Your dog walker. With your Blue system, you can set them up with their own user codes to give them the access you want them to have. You can change access codes anytime. Since the codes are unique to each person, you’ll always know who’s coming and going.
- Master user – The master user is the main user. This person has full access to the app and is in charge of the monitoring plan and billing.
- Admin user – The admin user is a secondary user, like the master user’s spouse or partner. This person has access to all features, except billing.
- Standard user – A standard user is an additional user who has a login for the app. This person can only arm or disarm the system.
- Basic user – This user, such as a dog walker or contractor, gets a code that allows them to arm and disarm from the keypad. They can’t log in to the app.
Storm into hurricane season like a pro
Hurricane season runs from now through November. And even if you don’t live in a region typically hit by hurricanes, it’s always good to be prepared should the unexpected happen. We’ve compiled a checklist full of pro tips to help you and your fam come up with a storm safety plan:
- Build an emergency supply kit
- Remove damaged trees and limbs from your property
- Clear debris and secure gutters, windows and doors
- Know where to shelter or evacuate in an emergency
Need help with your Blue by ADT system after a storm or power outage? Visit our Support Center for troubleshooting advice and how-tos.
Get the most out of your outdoor camera’s battery life
Last year, we introduced two new add-on devices to help extend the battery life of your Blue by ADT Wireless Outdoor Camera. The new Blue Solar Panel can significantly extend the life of your battery. Just place it in a sunny spot, connect it to your camera’s battery and you’re good. Want to extend your battery indefinitely, without needing to recharge at all? The Blue Always-On Bracket attaches to the back of your outdoor camera and lets you plug it directly into a power source, for continuous, 24/7 operation.
Prefer to work with what you already have? No problem. Here are three quick steps you can take to maximize your outdoor camera’s battery life.
- First, make sure your battery is fully charged before connecting it to the camera. The battery pack LED will turn green once it’s fully charged. (Note: the initial battery charging time for the outdoor camera is 5 to 6 hours.)
- To save battery life, you can opt to customize your camera’s motion zones and sensitivity to avoid high-traffic areas such as street traffic. In the app, find Devices > Select Outdoor Camera > Motion > Motion Zone and Sensitivity. Then, slide the corners of the window to adjust the motion zone smaller or larger and tap Save.
- You can also create a custom time frame for your camera to capture motion. In the app, find Devices > Select Outdoor Camera > Motion > Notifications > Custom. After making these changes, tap Save.