Wireless Window Alarm Sensors: How They Work and Their Benefits
Burglars are opportunists. They actively seek a house’s easiest access point, ideally hidden from the eyes of onlookers. For this reason, first-floor windows are the second most common entry method for intruders.
Most of us know to lock the front door, and the increasingly popular doorbell camera protects the main entrance. However, many homeowners are less diligent about their windows, leaving them unlocked and unmonitored.
Thankfully, Blue by ADT offers DIY window alarm sensors.
Choose My System
How Window Alarm Sensors Work to Help Protect Your Home
Wireless window alarm sensors consist of two separate components, one which attaches to the frame and the other to the window itself. When the window closes, the magnetized sensors align to create a circuit. When the window opens, the circuit breaks. This triggers one or more of the following responses depending on your settings:
- An (optional) audible alarm will sound. Many homeowners choose to enable their wireless window sensors to chime if activated. The noise will most likely startle the intruder and discourage further action.
- Homeowners will receive a notification on their mobile device.
- The window sensor will alert the authorities.
Blue by ADT Window Sensors Include Multiple Settings for Practical Use
When synced with a smart home hub, homeowners can use the mobile app to change the window sensors’ directives based on the day’s needs. Choices include:
- Activate a response immediately or after a predetermined amount of time. Different situations demand different levels of protection. When bedtime rolls around, use your app to set the security system to Instant mode. In turn, the window alarm will sound the moment someone triggers it.
If you want to open the windows when home during the day, use the Stay option. This delays the alarm so you have time to cancel the programmed response.
- Arm the wireless window sensors at all times or solely when you’re away. The Blue by ADT security systems come with three different settings based on your current activities (Stay, Away, and Instant); you choose whether to activate window sensors when the centralized system is in Stay mode.
- Bypass individual sensors when arming the system. This is particularly helpful if you choose to leave a window open at night to welcome in fresh air.
- Automatically notify the central monitoring station and police when a window sensor activates. There are other uses for wireless window alarms besides break-in prevention. For example, you can use the sensors to stop your kids from sneaking into the liquor supply or prevent elderly loved ones from wandering. In these cases, you wouldn’t want to alert the police when someone triggers the system.
How to Install Window Alarms from Blue by ADT
Blue by ADT designed its wireless sensors for easy installation and usage. The setup process requires no tools, though homeowners can use a screwdriver if preferred.
- Activate the device by simply pulling the tab in the back.
- Pair it with the Blue by ADT app on your web-enabled mobile device.
- Mount the equipment using the provided adhesive tape. Position the wireless window sensor and corresponding magnet a half-inch or less from one another.
For a more detailed step-by-step guide, please read the complete instructions or watch this how-to video.
Where to Position Window Sensors Within Your Home
A common question Blue by ADT receives from customers is whether they need to install an alarm sensor on every window.
We recommend using wireless sensors on every window on the ground floor and basement, as intruders are likely to enter at these particular levels.
Don’t make the mistake of thinking that your higher-level windows are entirely immune. After all, thieves value privacy above all else. If your second-story windows are accessible and well-hidden from neighbors, install wireless sensors just to be safe.
We also suggest placing window sensors in the rooms of vulnerable family members, such as children or elderly loved ones, for enhanced safety monitoring.
Window Sensors’ Diverse Uses
Many homeowners associate window sensors as a part of a larger security system. The sensors indeed serve the crucial role of monitoring the weakest entry points. However, this is not their sole benefit. Other practical uses include:
- Elderly care and the prevention of wandering. Dementia frequently causes individuals to leave safe environments without warning, commonly referred to as “wandering.” Window and door sensors alert caretakers when their dementia-stricken patient exits the home, enabling them to take immediate action to keep their loved one safe. To learn more, read our article about window and door alarms for Alzheimer’s patients.
- Monitoring the behavior of rebellious teenagers. Almost every parent will ground their kids at some point. However, if the teenager is particularly willful, there is no guarantee that they won’t try to sneak out undetected.
The wireless sensors can notify parents if the bedroom window opens so they can keep a watchful eye for other signs of rule-breaking.
- Tracking access to household goods that are not kid-friendly. Parents naturally possess various items that could prove potentially fatal to kids, such as guns, alcohol, and medications. The adults should store such belongings out of reach or under lock-and-key. Yet, as every parent knows, curious children and mischievous teens are naturally resourceful when snooping about.
Parents can place wireless sensors on the doors of their closets, liquor cabinets, and gun safes to receive instant warnings of unsupervised access. The sensors’ optional audible alarm can even intimidate children or teens to prevent dangerous behaviors.
How to Buy Wireless Window Sensors from Blue by ADT
Window alarm sensors must accompany a smart home hub in order to push notifications to your phones and the Blue by ADT monitoring centers.
Ready to get started? You can build your own system or modify the Blue starter system to customize the ideal security package for your particular needs. Shop online or give us a call at 877-464-7437 to get started today!
Frequently Asked Questions About Wireless Window Alarm Sensors and How They Work
Blue by ADT developed its wireless window sensors for easy DIY application and intuitive usage. However, that doesn’t mean that the occasional question doesn’t arise.
What happens if my window sensors experience a false alarm?
Blue by ADT has three optional settings to help prevent false alarms:
- Abort window time: You choose whether or not to grant yourself a 30-second grace period to disarm the window sensor alarm before it sends a notification to Blue by ADT’s monitoring centers.
- Swinger shutdown: When enabled, the window sensor prevents multiple notifications from occurring within a 5-minute period.
- Cross-zoning: In this chosen setting, an intruder would trigger multiple sensors before an alarm sounds. For example, you can pair a window sensor with a motion sensor.
How Much do Blue by ADT window sensors cost?
Window sensors are $14.99 per piece.
Can I get window sensors without professional monitoring from Blue by ADT?
You can self-monitor your home using Blue by ADT window sensors and our free app. However, it’s important to emphasize that you would be unable to use the app to notify the authorities in the case of an emergency. Learn more about monitoring options from Blue by ADT.
Do window sensors need batteries to work?
Blue by ADT window sensors come with CR2 batteries already in place. When needed, you can find replacements at many popular stores that sell batteries.